Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Gratitude Project 2011 - Day 24

Thanksgiving is finally here! We have feasted all afternoon, and now the house is quiet - really quiet. So I have a moment to sit back and reflect on some things.

Today, I am thankful for a few different things. For starters, I am thankful for the fantastic day we had with family and friends! My parents and Brient's parents came for lunch, along with some great friends and their four boys who joined us. And later, my brother and his wife popped in for a while. It was a great day with great people, great food, and a great time!

I am also thinking today about how very thankful I am for Brient's job. At this exact time last year, we honestly weren't sure if Brient was going to have a job anymore, or if they were going to fire him once the buy-out of his previous employment was complete. We were stressed to the max and looking at a move about four hours further south to a crazy busy city that we knew very little about. But on this day last year, I chose to put all the job issues behind me and focus on being thankful for that one day. I chose to praise God for who He is, and not think about our uncertain circumstances. The following months had us wringing our hands with worry. I tell you, saying you have faith that God will take care of you and actually living it out is sometimes a challenge. But God DID come through - at the VERY LAST MINUTE! About two days before Brient would lose his job, something came open and he was able to stay on with this company. I learned through that time that God is NEVER late, but rarely early. THAT was a hard time. But today, I am so thankful that Brient was able to keep his job, and, though it has been rough at times, he still has this job that provides for our family in a way that allows me to stay home with our kids. We have never gone hungry, and for that, I am thankful.

And lastly, I am so thankful for the things I have learned during these last 24 days of The Gratitude Project 2011. Sometimes it can be really hard to find something for which to be thankful, especially when the day just isn't going right. But by purposely looking for the things in each day that I have to be thankful for, it has taught me that there really are blessings each day that God pours out on me, even if I have to look for them. It has taught me to be a positive thinking person, instead of thinking about all the bad things going on around me. And it has helped me to see how truly blessed I am.

Thank you, Jesus, for all the blessings you have poured out on my life. Thank you for your continued blessing even in the midst of difficult times. Thank you that you will never leave me, but will always be there for me.

"Be thankful in ALL circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." ~1 Thessalonians 5:18


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess