Thursday, November 17, 2011

Called to Minister - Part 1

I am a gypsy at heart. I am rarely happy being in one place for too long. Before long, I start to get antsy and just need to DO something and GO somewhere! Believe me, it is no fun living with me when I get like this, because I just completely wear everybody out with my whining about the need to MOVE! I don't mean like moving houses. I mean like getting up and GOING somewhere to do something! I have been this way since I was a kid. Always had my bags packed and ready to go to the next adventure. (For those of you who share my gypsy spirit, you will know what I'm talking about here. For the rest of you, I don't really expect you to get it. But keep reading anyway!)

Unfortunately for me, my husband does not share the same gypsy blood as I, and, quite frankly, I start to really wear on his nerves after awhile. He is perfectly happy staying put in one place for his entire life. In fact, he has moved more times in the last 14 years of being married to me than he ever has in his life. So this is usually a big issue with us.

In fact, it got so bad a few weeks ago that I was just wringing my hands together and had such a heavy burden on my heart that I just didn't know what to do. So I did the only thing I knew TO do. I cried out to God in my anguish. I began praying and seeking God. My heart cried out wanting to know why in the world He would make me with such a desire in my heart and then not allow me to go and do and move. I told God in my utter despair that I needed Him to show me in a tangible way why I was made like this and show me what He would have me do with this desire He put in my heart, or to completely take this spirit away from me. I just couldn't keep living like this, wanting to GO and having a husband who wanted to stay put. I also told God that I didn't just want Him to tell ME what I was to be doing with this spirit in me, but I wanted Him to confirm it to me through my husband. And so I prayed, and prayed, and prayed, and waited.

The coolest part was, I didn't have to wait long. I just LOVE it when God answers in a quick way. Generally, it is a very long process, with Him working things out inside of me while I learn to be patient and wait. But thankfully, not this time! Within about two days of praying and seeking God for direction, He answered - in a BIG way!

I got a call from this guy, Scott. I had never actually met Scott before that phone call, but I did know his wife. I had met her at camp over the summer. Scott was calling on behalf of his church, and they were looking for someone to come teach the kids at their church during their upcoming revival. They had heard about what we did with the kids at camp over the summer, and they thought we might be available. The pastor wanted to give all of their church workers a chance to sit in on the revival, so they needed someone from outside to come in to take care of the kids. Honestly, my first thought was, "There is no way Brient is going to go for this." The church is, after all, two hours away from our house. No, that's not really that far, but I still didn't expect him to want to go. So I told Scott I'd think about it, talk to Brient, and get back with him.

So I waited until a good time to talk to Brient (as in, I waited until the commercial came on), and I told him why Scott had called. He sat listening while I told him all the details. And when I finished, he looked at me and said, "Well, I think God just gave us an open door. I don't think we can do anything else BUT go through it." WOW! Is that direction WITH confirmation or WHAT!?

I was so thrilled I just could barely contain myself! For the next two weeks, I wrote out my lessons and got all my games together. We borrowed Brient's parent's camper, and got all of our things packed and ready to go. And when the weekend came, we pulled out of our driveway and headed West - to the next adventure God was calling us to.

For a really long time, I just couldn't understand what God was doing in me. I couldn't understand or put my finger on why I was made as I am. But when I needed some answers, I went to The One with ALL the answers. I asked God to give me direction and to confirm it through my husband, and boy did He ever answer. God didn't just tell me what was in store for my future, but He SENT ME somewhere to do work for Him. And he told Brient the plan, too. I was completely thrilled to be able to sit back and just watch as God moved and worked and revealed things. And I know - I KNOW - that He has even more things in store for us in the future!

In a few days, I'll write the rest of this story, and I'll tell you all about the ministry that went on during that revival. It was THRILLING! But then again, God is ALWAYS thrilling!

*Be sure to check out Called to Minister - Part 2*

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess