Monday, November 14, 2011

The Gratitude Project 2011 - Day 14

I heard a song today as I was driving to town. It's a song I have heard many times before, but I've just never really slowed down enough to hear the words. But today, I really listened. And I let the words of that song really sink in to my head and my heart.

Today, I am reminded of how thankful I am for my God's forgiveness. God has a way of forgiving that I just can't comprehend.

There are things I have done in this life that I wish I could go back and re-do, things that have hurt my Maker, sins against Almighty God. I feel as Paul did when he wrote in 1 Timothy 1:15 that he was the worst of sinners. And I can honestly say that Paul speaks truth in Romans 7:18 when he says there is no good thing that lives in the flesh. God has absolutely no reason whatsoever to love me and forgive me for the wrongs that I have committed, and yet He DOES love me and He DOES forgive me when I repent of those sins and ask His forgiveness. That is simply amazing to me.

This song that I heard today sums it up perfectly. Here are the words to the song, so you can really look at it and let it sink in before listening to it.

Forgiven
by Sanctus Real

Well the past is playing with my head
And failure knocks me down again
I’m reminded of the wrong
That I have said and done
And that devil just wont let me forget.

 In this life
I know what I’ve been
But here in your arms
I know what I am.

I’m forgiven
I’m forgiven
And I don’t have to carry
The weight of who I’ve been
Cause I’m forgiven.

My mistakes are running through my mind
And I’ll relive my days, in the middle of the night
When I struggle with my pain, wrestle with my pride
Sometimes I feel alone, and I cry.

In this life
I know what I’ve been
But here in your arms
I know what I am.

I’m forgiven
I’m forgiven
And I don’t have to carry
The weight of who I’ve been
Cause I’m forgiven.

 When I don't fit in and I don’t feel like I belong anywhere
When I don’t measure up to much in this life
Oh, I’m a treasure in the arms of Christ ‘cause

 I’m forgiven
I’m forgiven
And I don’t have to carry
The weight of who I’ve been
Cause I’m forgiven.




My favorite part of that song (besides the chorus) is the part that says, "In this life, I know what I've been. But here in Your arms, I know what I am." 

Today, I am thankful for forgiveness. Without it, I would be completely lost and hopeless. Thank you, God, for forgiving me, even though I don't deserve Your forgiveness. Thank you that I don't have to carry that heavy weight of who I once was, and that my past does not define or determine who I am now and will be in You.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I had a tough afternoon with one of my kids today and it hit me suddenly that I've been a lot worse & done a lot worse than that child has and I've been forgiven. When that hit me, I felt physically ill.

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess