Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gluten Free Living - Day 3

I decided that I really need some gluten free crackers if I'm going to survive this way of eating. Since opting for vegetarianism, I have been loading up on great dips, like hummus, and salsas. But what is one to do with NO CRACKERS?? So last night, I started looking online for a good cracker recipe - gluten free. And here is what I came up with.

I found a cracker that looked absolutely delicious in the picture. It had ingredients that I had on hand (OK, the NEW ingredients that I bought the other night. It's not like they are just things I keep on hand every day.), and I liked all the seasonings that went in it. So I whipped up a batch. The recipe said to press them onto your tray, and use a knife to score the crackers (that means to cut lines through them so they are actual crackers when you're finished), and then bake them in the oven for like 15 minutes. Sounded easy enough. Only problem was, when I got ready to pick them up off of my baking stone, they started to break. So I had a few actual crackers, but most were just broken into small pieces. Now, I will say that the flavor was great! I loved how that part turned out, and I decided that I will definitely be able to use these as croutons on my next salad. But as far as dipping, well, I just don't think that's going to happen. I did eat pinto bean soup today for lunch, and they held up pretty well when I put the beans on top. Still though, they weren't quite what I was hoping for.

All in all, I really liked the flavor. But I don't think I will be making these again. I just don't eat croutons on my salad enough to worry with making this recipe just for that reason. Later I'll see if I can find a different recipe that might turn out a better cracker that doesn't crumble when I try to lift it off the pan.

So day 3 of gluten free eating went really well. Looking forward to tomorrow and whatever awaits me in my kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess