Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Gratitude Project - Day 4

Nine and a half years ago, I met my sweet Little Man. I am so thankful that God chose to let me be his mama. We have had a very rough road, he and I. Three weeks after we brought him home from the hospital, he got sick, and stayed sick for the bigger part of his short life. He cried all the time, and there were days I really questioned God. He tells us that He will never give us more than we can handle, but I really began to wonder. But through all of those sicknesses, he and I spent a whole lot of time together - at the doctor, sleeping in the recliner together at night, and holding him through all kinds of high fevers.

And more recently, like almost 3 years ago, he and I spent several days of quality time together while he was in the hospital after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. And every 3 months since that time, he and I spend the day together as we travel to see his endocrinologist. We try to make each one of those trips something fun and exciting for him, usually by going out to eat wherever my Little Man chooses!

This kid and I have been through so much together, just the two of us, that we are very close. I am probably closer to him that any of my other children, just for the sheer amount of time we get to spend together - even if it is for doctor visits!

He is the most creative kid I have ever met. He gets inside of his own little brain, and pulls out things I never could have dreamed. He is always sketching new inventions, and then building them.

Little Man is so full of life and energy, and just loves to have a great time. He doesn't meet a stranger, and he is always friendly to everyone. I am so proud of him for the way he treats people. He will give you the shirt off his back in a heartbeat. Of course, on the other hand, he loves getting things, too! :-)

Little Man was very disappointed when his 2 little sisters were born, because he wanted a little brother very badly. But he is the best big brother to them. He takes care of all 3 of his sisters, and they sure love that guy!

I am so anxious to see where God is going to take this kid someday. I know God has a great plan for him.

"Colby, I can't imagine life without you. You add so much to my life, and I love every minute I spend with you. Thank you for loving me, even when I can be hard to deal with. Thank you for your sweet kisses every night before bed, and your morning hugs each day. I love you exactly the way you are, and I know you are going to grow up to be a good man, like your daddy, someday. I can't wait to see where God leads you in this life."


1 comment:

  1. That is one fine son you have there!!! He's such an awesome kid!!

    ReplyDelete

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess