Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Gratitude Project - Day 16

It occurred to me that this 25 day journey of intentional gratefulness is more than half-way done. It doesn't seem like the time has passed so quickly, and yet, Thanksgiving is upon us in a little over a week. WOW!

I must admit, there have been a few days that I have had to sit for awhile and FIND something for which to be thankful. I have four children, and the two littlest ones, ages 4 and 2, have been giving me a run for my money lately. I have been just a little, shall we say, STRESSED! So by participating in The Gratitude Project, I have made myself stop and reflect on the things in my life, and not just the "stressful at the time" things, and I realize that I do have MUCH for which to be thankful!

Today, I am simply thankful for this yummy, delicious cup of homemade hot chocolate sitting in front of me waiting to be savored. Back in January, I gave up a BIG addiction to coffee, and that is something I have not regretted. But I have realized that, besides the caffeine addiction, I really just LOVE having a warm cup of ANYTHING in my hands. It is so comforting and soothing. Especially on dreary, rainy days like we have had at my house this past week, a nice, hot cup of something is wonderful! I LOVE a nice cup of hot tea, mainly chai or Earl Grey. And at this time of year, a cup of hot apple cider hits the spot. But what I have really developed a love of is hot cocoa! Homemade hot cocoa, to be exact!

I came up with my own recipe for a delicious, healthy hot cocoa, and I wanted to share it with you. I promise, you will be THANKFUL for this cocoa, too!!

1 C Blue Diamond almond milk (non-dairy, low in calories, low in carbs, and VERY YUMMY!)
1/2 TBSP cocoa powder (very high in antioxidants and a mood booster!)
A dash of cinnamon, to taste (lowers cholesterol, regulates blood sugar, and reduces arthritis pain)
1 TBSP honey (aids stomach and digestion, treats allergies, heals ulcers, and MUCH more!!)

Add everything to a small pot, and use a whisk to mix everything well. I continue to whisk everything until it reaches the temperature I want it, because I don't want it to burn. (Nothing worse than burning a good cup of hot cocoa!) When all the cocoa is dissolved and you get it to the temperature you like, pour it up in a nice, big mug. Take your cup to a nice, quiet place, get a good book or a magazine, and relax while you enjoy your yummy hot cocoa!

I hope you like this recipe as well as I do. It has become one of my favorite afternoon "snack" drinks, and I make a cup nearly every day. I am very, very thankful for my chocolate treat!

1 comment:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess