Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rainy Days

Don't you just LOVE rainy days?? They are so peaceful, and the world looks so new and fresh. And for us, these are the days of great learning. Since we can't go outside, today has proven to be a great opportunity to do a few of these great learning activities that I have been putting off because of one thing or another. Here are some of the pictures of what we've been doing on this great rainy day!

First things first. I had to find something to keep my 3 year old occupied. I knew I kept that Light Bright for a reason!





So this morning, out of the blue, my little man asked me if he could pull down the Allosaurus model that I have on a top shelf. We put it together probably 2 years ago, put it back in the box, and it hasn't come down since. So, having nothing else planned for today, I pulled it down, dusted it off, and he went to work. With only a very little help, he put it together and had a great time!!




A few years back, I purchased a chemistry kit from a garage sale for $1.00. I thought that was a pretty good investment, and it would keep until Big Sister was actually old enough to do it. But much to my dismay (and aggravation), she began pestering me almost immediately to pull it out and do some of the experiments. She was about 5 at the time - not old enough for chemistry. But today was the day. She's 9 now, much more able to focus what she's doing, and still chomping at the bit to do some experiments. But we started slow. In chemistry, like most other things in life, you start simple and build on that. So Big Sister and Little Man are looking through and examining all the tools that came with this kit. (He got bored VERY quickly and went to play!)




There was a balance scale included in this kit. Before we could go any further, Big Sister had to spend a little time putting this monster together. But after putting the pieces together, it wouldn't weight correctly. So she had to read the directions on how to zero out the scale. Then she was able to begin weighing things. (I'm still not crazy about that thing. It keeps getting "off". So I'm thinking of finding her another balance scale that actually WORKS!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess