Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Calling

When, in this life, one decides to give up self and follow Christ, there are things that are asked of us. Often, the things asked are easy - begin going to church, pray, tell others about your new found salvation. I'm sure, for some, those things may take some getting use to, but for the most part, the things asked of them are relatively easy.

But as this journey with the God of all creation progresses, there are other things that He begins to ask, things that aren't quite so easy - quit smoking and drinking, forgive that person who wronged you, quit the job you have to follow where Christ is leading you. These things certainly fall in the "hard to do" category. And yet, He still asks.

And then, aside from all of these, there is The Calling. For me, it starts as a cool idea that someone should do. Then I realize that it's a cool idea that I might be good at, but right now, I'm not really interested. As time goes on, I think, "Maybe God wants me to do this, but I don't want to. No thanks God." The debate begins - "I want you to do this," "No thanks, God," "Yes, it's you I need," "I don't have time for this right now," "Make time for Me," "I wouldn't be good at that anyway," "I'll help you," - and the debate goes on. After some time goes by, I have put so much stress on myself over this, I am just not much good to anyone. And finally, I realize that the only way I will ever truly be happy in this life is to give up my own will and follow the calling of Christ - to walk with Him where I don't want to go, because He asked it of me. When I finally surrender my will to His, instantly the peace of God that passes ALL understanding covers over me like a warm blanket on a cool day. I am finally at peace again within myself and with God.

The Calling is something in which, no matter how hard you fight, you cannot get away. It is something that you MUST do in order to ever be truly happy. Whether or not you feel you are up for the task is irrelevant. When The Almighty himself asks something of you, you will only find peace when you surrender to The Calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess