Thursday, December 2, 2010

Homemade Holiday Crescent Rolls

The holidays are here, and many of you will be having parties at your homes, or maybe going to other parties. One food that is always sure to please is a nice, hot batch of crescent rolls! I decided to try my hand at making some homemade crescent rolls today, and they were a HIT!

I started out with this recipe.

1Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 C warm water
1 Tbsp. honey
1 C butter, melted
1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
5 C flour

In a cereal bowl, mix the yeast, water, and honey. Let this sit while you mix up everything else. Melt the butter, and add the sugar and eggs. Mix well. Add the salt and half of the flour. Pour in the bubbly yeast mixture and mix well. Add the rest of the flour, 1/2 to 1 cup at a time. When this is all mixed together well, pour a little oil in the bottom of the bowl and roll your dough around in it. This keeps it from sticking to the bowl. Cover it with a cloth, and let it rise until double. Punch down the dough, and let it rise again until double. 

Punch down the dough, and divide the dough in half. Roll out each lump of dough into a large circle, and, using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 triangles. Roll up each triangle from the large side down, and put it on a greased baking pan with the smallest end on the under side. This is what mine looked like.




 Some I made in the traditional shape, but some I pulled in the ends to make more like a roll. I was planning to make homemade frozen breakfast sandwiches for my honey with these, so I needed them more round. 

After they are all on a baking pan, let them rise until double in size. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and bake the rolls until they are nice and brown on top. That takes about 20-25 min. Be sure to watch them, because it would be terrible to go to all that work and then burn them! YUCK!



Looks pretty yummy, doesn't it?! (It was!!)

As I said, I had planned to use these to make homemade frozen breakfast sandwiches for Brient, because he often is running out the door and needs something quick. This will keep me from buying pre-made frozen breakfasts, which are quite expensive, and it keeps him out of an unhealthy and expensive drive-through. 



I made several kinds, so he would have a variety. I made sausage, egg, and cheese. 


I made ham, egg, and cheese.


This one is just ham and cheese.


And this one is egg and cheese.

When I finished, I wrapped them in foil and popped them in the freezer. When he gets ready for them, he can pull one out of the freezer, open it up, and put it in the toaster oven or microwave. (Personally, I think the toaster oven works best, because you can open up the sandwich and it warms it without making everything inside mushy!)

So that was my reason for making the crescent rolls today. But you could very easily make these to take with you to any party for the holidays. Or you could make them for you own holiday meal. 

This was a BIG hit with all my family! The kids wanted to taste them right out of the over, and who wouldn't! I'm sure all of your gang will love them, as well. They were easy and turned out delicious. Even if you're not a bread maker, this recipe is worth the effort. You will be glad you tried it - as will all the hungry little ones around you smelling them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess