Friday, August 13, 2010

Homemade Granola

Last Christmas, my sweet mama bought me a new cookbook. This isn't just any cookbook. It's a "Daily Harvest Bakery and Deli" cookbook. Daily Harvest is a local bakery and deli that prides itself on using fresh ground wheat, all natural sweeteners, and lots of other "good for you" things. But since they are all the way in town, and I live in the country, I am not able to just run up there for a nice, hot, fresh loaf of jalapeno cheese bread whenever I want it. I can't just swing in for a refreshing glass of wheat grass juice. I'm not able to stop by for a freshly made chocolate haystack cookie. But, I have the next best thing! I can make my own whenever I want. Now, I will admit that I don't have a grain mill, so I don't grind my own flour. But I do try to use all the same healthy ingredients that Teresa (the owner of Daily Harvest) uses, and all the recipes I have tried so far are WONDERFUL!

Today, I needed to make another batch of homemade granola, because that is what we eat many mornings for breakfast. I love the fact that the kids pick my healthy, homemade granola over the packaged sugary cereals! Several people have asked for the recipe, so I thought I would share. It's the only recipe I'm posting on my blog, though. You'll just have to go out and get your own copy of Teresa's book if you want to try the other recipes! And I assure you, you WILL want to try more!!

Just know, I did make some changes to the original recipe found in the book. I don't always keep things, like walnuts, and my kids like different fruits. Also, I like to change what I put in my granola, so we don't get tired of the same kind. Sometimes I make it like this, and sometimes I add cocoa powder to make dark chocolate granola. Play around with this recipe, and see how many different types of granola you can make!

Homemade Granola:

2 sticks butter
1 Tbsp. cinnamon (or more if you want a stronger spice taste!)
1 C. honey or agave nectar
8 C. rolled oats
2 C. pecan halves
1 C. coconut
1 C. dried cranberries
1/2 C. ground flax seed

Boil butter, cinnamon, and honey/agave nectar for 3 min. Pour over oats and stir well to coat. Add all other ingredients, and stir well. Pour into a large pan, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Bake for 5 minute intervals, stirring after each interval. When your oats are golden brown and not soft and wet looking when you stir it, it's ready!

If you choose to make chocolate granola, add 3/4 C. cocoa powder to the butter, cinnamon, and honey/agave nectar mix and let it boil with the mix. It makes a delicious chocolate sauce to go on your granola.



Here is a picture of our finished granola. All I need to do now is let it cool, and then I can put it in my Rubbermaid reusable cereal box. 



After you try this recipe, go and get your own Daily Harvest Cookbook! You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess