Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Gift of Alone Time

Fall in the Deep South is not really much different than the summer. We still have mosquitoes, temps in the upper 80's or more, flip flops, tank tops, gardens that are still producing, and a few of our friends are even still swimming. It makes me very sad how much I still have to run my air conditioner, when I really long to open my windows and doors and let in the fresh air! But alas, we run the AC or we melt.

But a few days ago, the weather was actually nice! Not really fall weather, per se, but still, it was pleasant to be outside. So hubby pulled out the hammock and strung it between two trees. He loves a good hammock, so he, of course, was the first one to be in it. But as the day went on, a few other kids made their way out there to enjoy the relaxing day.

I was inside doing something, can't remember what (probably having coffee...), when I happened to look out my front window. We had all been inside for awhile, and I really didn't realize anyone was still out in the hammock! (Bad mom, I know.) When I looked outside, I saw the sweetest feet and legs just swinging away in that thing. My baby girl had gone outside with her "ideas" notebook and pen and was taking her turn.

Now, I have to tell you, my first thought was, "Oh no, she's all alone! I need to go take my coffee (or whatever it was I was doing) outside to go be with her!" But in that split second, another thought came in my head. "Why in the world would I want to interrupt that? What exactly is wrong with her being alone?" The answer: ummmm, absolutely nothing!

Having some time to ourselves these days is rare. Especially for kids! As parents, we think we need to entertain them every second of every day. We must fill all their waking moments with things that will create lasting memories for them. We buy into the belief that, if we aren't crazy busy doing things with our kids, we somehow aren't good parents. So we run from one activity to the next, never slowing down to just BE.

The problem with that is that we NEED alone time! OK, yes, we are created for community and need friends and people. True. But on occasion, it's OK to just be still and quiet and alone. It's in those times that we can really think, feel, understand ourselves. If we never allow ourselves time apart from others, how will we ever be able to dream and create and imagine? When we always are with a crowd, or even just one other person, we are always hearing someone else's opinion on life and things and whatever. But when we have time all by ourselves, we can take a few minutes to really process what WE think about something, what WE want out of life, what WE dream up.

So I took a step back. And I left her all by herself, alone. She had her pen and her notebook, and that girl was swinging up a storm and daydreaming and creating things in her head. And why in the world would I interrupt that?

Time alone is a gift. Don't rob your children of that time by scheduling every minute of every day for them. And don't let someone rob YOU of time alone. Because it's in those moments you get fresh perspective on life. And then you are ready to jump back in and tackle the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess