Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Albert Einstein!!

Albert Einstein, a German born physicist and one of the greatest men to ever live on this planet, was born on this day back in the year 1879. Personally, I can't see why in the world this man's birthday is not on our calendar as a day to be celebrated, because he is, after all, one of the leading scientists of our time, and he discovered the theory of relativity - E=mc2. So in light of the fact that the "powers that be" have neglected to recognize this most amazing man, I shall hold my own celebration of one of the greatest minds to ever live!


To honor the occasion, here are a few quotes from Albert, himself.

~A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

~A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. (So very true, and something I always try to remember!)

 ~A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? (I have OFTEN asked myself that question!)


  ~An empty stomach is not a good political adviser. 

~Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. 

~Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. (I think my husband needs to keep this in mind!)

~Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking. 


 ~As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. 

~Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
 
~Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. (I am getting more of an education now by homeschooling my children than I EVER received during my formal schooling!)


~Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. 

~God does not play dice.

~Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. 

~I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

~It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. (This is so true in a society where formal education requires a child to conform to the ideals of a teacher and a government who would like to dictate a child's thoughts and actions.)


When asked once of his belief in God, he quickly said, 


" You may call me an agnostic... I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."



There are so many things that this amazing man accomplished in his lifetime, there is no way to write about all of them. So go grab yourself a piece of birthday cake, put on some violin music, and go read all about Albert Einstein with your kids! This is a birthday worth celebrating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess