Monday, September 24, 2018

They Still Need You, Mama

Lately, I have been realizing more and more the fact that my job as a mom doesn't end just because my kids get bigger. After Britches graduated this past May, I felt lost, like I had nothing to do anymore for her. OK, yes, I still had three others to take care of. But it felt like I wasn't needed anymore for her. I am learning that thinking is so very far from the truth.

She called me today from school. I freak out every time she calls me, because I automatically assume something is wrong or she had a wreck or something. So today, I purposely did NOT freak out. I calmly answered the phone... and something was wrong. SEE! I should have freaked out! It really wasn't that big of a deal. She had locked her keys in her van and wanted to see if I was coming to town. She needed to be at work at 3:00, and it was already almost 2:00. I told her I'd be there in about 30 minutes, and hung up the phone and headed that way. 

When I got there, we both had a good laugh, she promised never to do that again, I told her if she did I'd totally laugh even harder at her, and all was good. She headed to work, and I headed home. 

But it got me thinking. I am so thankful she decided to stay in town to go to college. I had the chance to come rescue her today. I was able to stop what I was doing and show her, in a very real way, that she is very important. She still needed me. And that made my mama heart very happy.

Most of the time these days, she is off doing her thing - studying, working, serving at church, going to her college small group at church. I see her in passing. Things are very different from just a few months ago, and certainly very different from a few years ago. She buys her own food now, pumps her own gas, makes her own schedule, pays for her own schooling - she is very independent. But she still needs her mama. Every day. Even if it's just to have mama at home when she gets here to know that part of life hasn't changed. 

Mama, don't buy the lie that you aren't important in your kids' lives. Don't believe for a minute that they don't need you or want you. Don't ever think that they will get to some magical age that they are grown and can do everything on their own and will leave you behind. Yes, the goal in raising our kids is for them to be independent contributors to society. But even in being a grown up, they will always need their mama. 

You are important. You are needed. You are wanted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess