Monday, September 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Chili

Since the weather has cooled off - slightly - it has made me start getting the itch to break out my crock pot to make some yummy delicious concoction! I wanted to share with you what I made yesterday. But I cannot take the credit for this delicious vegan dish. I found the recipe for sweet potato chili over at Stephanie O'Dea's website. She has a TON of great recipes, so I encourage you to head on over (after you finish reading this, of course) to see what yummy things she has to share with you!

Sweet Potato Chili

2 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
1 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used a green bell pepper)
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (I didn't use any, because I don't keep that in my cabinet)
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice

Use a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Chop everything up. Put everything in the crock pot. Pour in the water and orange juice. Put the lid on it and cook for 6-8 hours, or until your sweet potatoes are tender. And that's IT! VERY simple!!

This recipe is DELICIOUS, and it is CHEAP! I highly recommend you trying it! When this was cooking yesterday, there was just something about smelling this delicious dish while enjoying looking outside at the beautiful rain. They just seemed to go together. And when it was finally cooked, and when it was finally able to ladle up a bowl of this yummy goodness, it was heavenly!

Now, go make your own crock pot full of this delicious vegan chili, and then, while it's cooking, head over to Stephanie's page to check out more great recipes! And after you finish eating, be sure to come back here and tell me how heavenly you thought this chili was!

1 comment:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Suess